My spouse, partner or surviving dependant gets

Various lump sum and pension benefits are available from the Scheme when you die, depending on your personal circumstances at that time. Click on the links below to find out about the different benefits available.

If you die before drawing your NAPS pension:
  • If you die before you draw your deferred pension and there is no Adult Survivor’s pension to pay (either because you have not paid for the Adult Survivor’s pension cover or because there is no-one we can pay the Adult Survivor’s pension to) we will pay a lump sum of the value of your own contributions with interest.
  • The lump sum is free of inheritance tax.

If you die after drawing your pension:

  • A lump sum may be paid if no Adult Survivor’s pension is payable. The lump sum is broadly the difference between benefits you have received, if any, and your contributions plus interest.
  • The lump sum is free of inheritance tax.

You can tell the Trustee who you would like to receive any lump sum death benefits by completing a Notice of Wish form.

Need more information?
Read our Notice of Wish guide and case study for more details.

Notice of Wish form information pdf

A pension of two-thirds of the pension you earned whilst paying the higher contributions towards an Adult Survivor’s pension (before any adjustments to your own pension such as taking a tax-free lump sum or any early retirement reduction) will automatically be paid to your husband, wife or civil partner. The normal Scheme increase arrangements apply to Adult Survivor’s pensions and they are payable for life.

If you are not married or in a civil partnership when you die, the Trustees can decide to pay the Adult Survivor’s pension to a 'surviving dependant'. This could be a common-law spouse, partner, or someone else who meets the requirements under the Rules of the Scheme and who is financially dependent on you to a substantial extent. Full details are included in the Surviving Dependants Pension Registration form. The Trustees will also need documents to confirm the level to which your surviving dependant depends on you financially. They will accept documents such as copies of statements for joint bank accounts and joint mortgages or bills in joint names for the period of three months prior to the date of death.

If the person you want to receive your Adult Survivor’s pension is more than 10 years younger than you, we will reduce the pension at the rate of 1.25% for each year of difference in your ages over 10 years. For example, if the person is 11 years younger than you, we will reduce the pension by 1.25%, or if the person is 12 years younger than you, we will reduce the pension by 2.5%.

  • If you die in retirement and have saved AVCs, any amount your spouse or partner receives will depend on whether you bought extra pension with your AVCs at retirement and, if so, whether this pension has attached Adult Survivor's benefits.
  • If you die having drawn your pension but you deferred payment of some or all of your AVCs, your AVC fund can be used to provide Adult Survivor's benefits through an insurance company of their choice or will be paid to your estate.

Was this page useful?